SKIN CANCER: It refers to the abnormal growth of skin cells. Growth of abnormal tissues in skin develops on skin exposed to the sun, often. Skin exposure to sunlight is the main cause of skin cancer diseases. However, the common form of cancer can also occur on areas of skin that are not in general exposed to sunlight.
TYPES OF SKIN CANCER: There are three major types of skin cancer.
• Basal cell carcinoma
• Squamous cell carcinoma
It is important to take proper precautions to reduce risk of skin cancer. Some important points are:
• Avoid skin exposure to sunlight and ultraviolet (UV) radiation. In sunny days, when sunrays are too strong, protect your skin. Even when the day is not too sunny, UV rays are present and can harm skin so be careful.
• Use clothing to cover your exposed skin in sun. Use sunglasses and hat.
• Apply sunscreen lotion with SPF 30 and more.
• Know your skin and check skin for suspicious changes. Early detection of skin cancer can significantly help in curing it. And self-check up for skin cancer helps in detecting any traces of cancer at its earliest stages.
• Avoid tanning-booth. Also avoid artificial tanning-methods such as use of tanning-pills and tablets. These can increase risk of developing skin cancer.
Primarily, skin cancer develops on areas of sun-exposed skin. The areas can be the scalp, face, lips, ears, neck, chest, arms and hands, and on the legs. It can also develop on areas that rarely see the light of day such as palms, beneath fingernails or toenails, and genital area. That is why medical professionals and practitioners suggest to get full body check up regularly and to keep eyes on any changes in skin as well. Skin cancer is not limited to any skin type it can affect people of all skin tones, including those with darker complexions. One thing to make a note here is, when melanoma occurs in people with dark skin tones, it is more likely to occur in areas that are not normally exposed to the sun. In Skin Cancer Clinics, experts and skin-cancer-surgeons offer variety of medical services for skin cancer patients. Right from skin cancer screening to skin cancer surgeries are offered. There are many clinics and hospitals where bulk billing skin cancer check-ups and services are offered to patients/ people.